When preparing the talk I was excited to have to think about integreated response of phosphorus and (less common for me....) nitrogen too. It was a useful experience and my conclusions were:
- Huge reductions in phosphorus inputs are required to maintain water quality - what does this mean for production?
- Nitrogen emissions contribute to climate change in the short and medium term, plus N emissions in turn respond to climate (it’s complicated!)
- Phosphorus emissions are mostly a responder to changes in rainfall (climate effect is more long term?)
- We need to determine the interactions….
- Enhancing productivity and environmental quality in a changing climate is going to be a massive challenge in the future.